All visitors to Anderson House age 2 and older are required to wear a mask indoors. Read our full COVID safety guidelines here.
Explore the Society’s historic headquarters, Anderson House, on a guided tour of this National Historic Landmark in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Anderson House is also the home of the Society of the Cincinnati’s American Revolution Institute. The Society of the Cincinnati has owned the mansion since 1938 and works here to advance its historical mission and support its hereditary fraternity. The tour reveals the history of the Society of the Cincinnati, the significance of the American Revolution, and the lives and collections of the home’s first owners, Larz and Isabel Anderson. The mansion was completed in 1905 for the Andersons, a wealthy couple who devoted their lives to public service, travel, entertaining, collecting, and philanthropy—interests and activities that are reflected in Anderson House, where much of the couple’s art collection and furnishings are still on display.
Visitors see the first and second floors of Anderson House on guided tours led by expert museum docents.
- Admission is free. No reservations are needed except for groups of 10 or more visitors.
- Tours begin at 15 minutes past each hour and last approximately one hour. The first tour begins at 10:15 a.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday. The last tour begins at 3:15 p.m. each day.
- Self-guided tours of the house are not permitted.
- Anderson House is wheelchair accessible.
- Photography with hand-held cameras is permitted on tours.
Tours of Anderson House for groups of 10 or more visitors require advanced registration. Groups are limited to 56 visitors, due to space constraints in some rooms. Groups are not reserved until confirmed in writing by the staff.
- Tours must be reserved at least two weeks in advance.
- Tours are available in some foreign languages, upon request.
- In some cases, group tours may be scheduled outside regular public hours for a fee.
- School groups are welcome.
To schedule a group tour, contact:
Museum Collections and Operations Manager
The temporary exhibition is self-guided. Guided tours of the current exhibition by its curator may be requested for groups either separately or in conjunction with scheduled group tours of Anderson House.
- Allow at least thirty minutes for the guided exhibition tour and browsing.