Organized in Charleston, South Carolina, August 29, 1783
Incorporated by the State of South Carolina,
December 16, 1824
On August 29, 1783, Continental officers assembled at the City Tavern in Charleston and formed the South Carolina Society, the eighth constituent society to organize. Maj. Gen. William Moultrie, who had called the meeting, was elected its first president; Brig. Gen. Isaac Huger, vice president; Maj. Thomas Pinckney, secretary; Capt. Charles Lining, treasurer; and Lt. James Kennedy, assistant treasurer. The following month, the South Carolina Society became the first constituent society to adopt and publish its own by-laws, in part in response to the criticism leveled against the Society by South Carolinian Aedanus Burke.
The South Carolina Society is the only southern constituent society to have remained in continuous existence since its founding. It was also the only active branch of the General Society in a state that seceded from the Union during the Civil War period. The Society's fellowship was restored quickly, and the Society held a Triennial Meeting in Charleston in 1881. Six years later in Newport, Rhode Island, delegates to that Triennial Meeting heard "Dixie" played after a toast to the South Carolina Society.