Organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1783
Incorporated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
April 4, 1792
On October 4, 1783, officers of the Pennsylvania Continental Line met at the City Tavern in Philadelphia and established the Pennsylvania Society, becoming the ninth of the constituent branches to be formed. They elected as their first officers: Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair, president; Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne, vice president; Lt. Col. Josiah Harmar, secretary; Brig. Gen. William Irvine, treasurer; and Col. Francis Johnston, assistant treasurer.
The Pennsylvania Society is one of only six constituent societies continuously active since its founding. Over the past two centuries, the Pennsylvania Society has supported many historic preservation and commemorative projects, including the erection of the equestrian Washington Monument near the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the rebuilding of the City Tavern, the site of many early meetings of both the Pennsylvania and General societies.